Wednesday, January 11, 2006

[BB] Again...

I know I said it wouldn't happen again.  Imagine my surprise when a faculty member called me on my cell around 6:00 PM and told me it already had happened again.  If I can't believe myself, who can I believe?
 
SHORT EXPLANATION:  Things got messed up at 4:00 PM when the whole mess started up again.  It repeated the process of removing anything that had been accomplished today.  It was supposed to be stopped sometime before 7:00 PM so, supposedly, things are back to a point where the sites can be worked on.
 
If we did work for you, correcting the error on your site after either of the previous problems, we will automatically reapply the corrections.  I will start working on it now.  We will send out notifications as we complete the sites that we know about.
 
LONG EXPLANATION:  At 3:30 PM I asked Blackboard to kill any snapshot processes that were still running from this mornings fiasco and then to start the hourly snapshot processing.  That way, when I put the files out tomorrow after carefully inspecting them, they would be processed on the next hour.  At 4:00 PM the process ran.  The process does three things: it transfers any files from a location at UM to our Blackboard system.
 
COMMENT:  I want to thank the people who have informed of these problems.  In each of the three cases it was a faculty member who made me aware of the issue.  I cannot overstate how wonderful that is.  I need your eyes monitoring what is happening.  Never hesitate to communicate with us about any issue.  Your notices are NEVER inappropriate.  I list my phone numbers on my signature so that you can use them.  Feel free to call, especially if you have sent an e-mail message and I haven't replied or sent a heads-up to the Bb mailing list.  The notice today came on my cell phone while I was driving down US 1.  The faculty member apologized profusely for calling me after hours on my cell phone.  There was no need to apologize.  I thank him, and all of you who are helping monitor things.  I promise to keep you informed whenever a problem appears.  I thank you for keeping me informed when you see something that might indicate a problem exists.
 
Best Day  (A good day is when good things happen.  Today was not a good day.  A best day is when you make the best of whatever happens.  We tried to make today the best day we could.)
 
Bill Vilberg
305-284-3949 (work); 786-218-3052 (cell); 305-255-9138 (home)