Thursday, July 21, 2005

[BB] Bb to be down Tue, Aug 9

I want to upgrade our Blackboard server to App Pack 3, the latest release.  Blackboard will need 24 hours for the upgrade.  During that time the system will be unavailable.  We are scheduled to perform the upgrade on Tuesday, August 9th. 
 
I will be distributing complete information on the features in App Packs 2 & 3 (AP2 will be applied prior to AP3 and will not require any noticeable downtime). The main two features we will be adding are the ability to export raw data from tests (and surveys, I think) and the ability to hide/reveal items based on extensive logic.  For example, you might have a reading with a quiz.  After a student gets 80% or more, say, on the quiz, the assignment for that reading appears.  Until the student gets 80% the assignment doesn't show up.  Or Chapter 2 doesn't show up if the student can't get some score on the Chapter 1 material.  I think these two features are the most important, but there are lots of others.
 
I realize having the system down for a day will impact some courses.  With current schedules there is no window in which some courses are not being taught.  In addition Blackboard hosts our server and will only perform two upgrades a day, so we had limited dates available.  I hope this is enough warning that anyone impacted will be able to create alternate plans.
 
My goal, as always, is to stabilize the system two weeks before classes begin and not perform any additional changes in functionality during the semester.  Security changes will always be applied as needed, of course. Since classes begin August 24, I need the system stable August 10.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that everything will work on August 9.
 
Bill Vilberg
305-284-3949 (work); 786-218-3052 (cell); 305-255-9138 (home)