Tuesday, May 10, 2005

[BB] Network problem details

EXECUTIVE REPORT:  I can now get to UM from home reliably.  I am unable to determine what the problem was.  It probably didn't effect any/many other people, whatever it was.
 
LONG BORING DETAILS:  I was unable to do so between 8:00 AM and 11:30 AM today.  Interesting that I could get everywhere else that I tried, just not to miami.edu addresses.  I called my sister-in-law in Pennsylvania and asked her to check UM from there.  It came up quickly, so I knew it wasn't that UM was down or under a data storm or anything.  Then I checked again to make sure that I could get to other places and I could.  I tried both .com and .edu sites, including FIU, since it is probably connected to the Internet similarly to our connection.  No problem getting anywhere but UM.  Finally I gave up and did other work.  When I checked again after noon I got on and it is responsive.
 
I have no idea whether the problem was Adelphia connecting to UM, UM allowing Adelphia in, or my specific address being blocked somewhere.  With all of the interfaces between systems involved in the Internet, it is impossible for me to determine where the problem lies.  And none of the service providers seems to have support in place to look into specific problems such as this.
 
Bill Vilberg
305-284-3949 (work); 786-218-3052 (cell); 305-255-9138 (home)