Monday, January 07, 2008

[BB] "Welcome Videos" on Blackboard

Instructors using Blackboard,

 

Would you like to have a friendly video greeting for your students on Blackboard before class starts?  You can see a sample by going to http://snipurl.com/welcomevideo and clicking the “Play” button in the bottom left corner of the video.  (You will see me without my mustache for the first time in 13 years!)

 

This is a one minute video, created to welcome the students to your class.  The goal is to make them feel more comfortable, and make you seem more approachable, helpful, and friendly.  There is almost no content, just a warm greeting.  I hadn’t practiced mine, so you will see me stumble over some of the things I was saying.  But even as it is, it removes some of the crusts that separate students and instructors.

 

If you would like to create one of these this week, let me know.  I have the camera set up in the Instructional Advancement Center (Merrick Building, Room 249).  We will arrange a time so you can come and record your “Welcome Video.”  I will even put it on your web site for you.  What a deal!  And all for no charge to you.

 

I hope you will take advantage of this opportunity to do something special on your Blackboard course web site.

 

Bill Vilberg